Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Recipes and Shopping list

Produce-
2 leeks
1 rutabaga
carrots and celery for soup (I always have these on hand)
1 small onion (Friday's soup)
3 bell peppers (for Friday's soup I bet one could substitute a bag of frozen pepper stir-fry)
baby lettuce salad
1 bag already prepared cole slaw
Potatoes
Green onions

Meat- center cut pork chops
Ground beef or turkey ( I am using turkey---- it is a 20 oz package)
Chicken breasts

General Groc-
1 quart of Chicken broth
1 quart of Beef broth
Rice (we always have this on hand)
condensed tomato soup
can crushed tomatoes ( I am planning to get the kind seasoned for chili)
Tortillas

Dairy case--Fresh Take chicken breading

Frozen --steam in the bag veg of your choice
fish sticks or breaded shrimp


Left Over Vegetable Soup
Okay so I had 2 leeks I bought awhile back to make leek soup and needed to get them used. I also had some rutabaga left from making pasties awhile back and needed to use IT up too. Since it is not a meal, according to the Hubs, unless it contains meat....I had some frozen left over ham which I chunked up into 1/2 inch squares and threw in

I saute the leeks(sliced in half the long way rinsed and then diced, rutabaga diced, 1 clove of minced garlic, two each diced carrot and celery (basically I steamed this on 3 on my electric burner for about 1/2 hour with the lid on. I then added one quart of chicken broth and threw in the ham chunks and simmered for another 1/2 hour so the veggies still have a bit of al dente to them and aren't squishy. I added salt and pepper to taste (I do this at the sauteing point)

TUESDAY-

Pretty self explanatory--follow the Fresh Take Recipe for the chicken, steam in the bag veg as for the potatoes. I dice mine and boiled them. This time I chose Yukon Gold b/c they are yummy and on sale

WEDNESDAY- Grill up some pork chops--yum. We season ours with salt and pepper.
Baby green salad also strawberries are starting to come back cheap and we most likely will add them to the meal as a side

THURSDAY--Fish Tacos (go ahead and look back at an earlier post "1-9-12" for my recipe)

FRIDAY--Unstuffed Pepper Soup

Start rice right away if you have the long cook kind, if not get of minute rice ready you will need to yield one cup cooked

Brown the Turkey or Ground Beef and pull from pan. In the drippings saute up the diced bell pepper and onion (or throw in a bag of pepper stir-fry and let the groc store do the work for you)

After the veg is sweated throw the browned meat back in and add in the beef broth, can of condensed tomato soup, can of crushed tomatoes and if the rice is ready throw it in and simmer together about 20 minutes








1 comment:

  1. I made the unstuffed pepper soup in the crock pot. I partially browned the turkey. And threw the ingredients in Friday orning putting 1/2 cup of rice in raw. The rice was plump and yummy and the flavors melded beautifully.

    ReplyDelete