Sunday, January 29, 2012

Shopping List for 1-30-12

Hubby is a bit laid up this week so I am using a lot of convenience items---

For meats--you will need a whole chicken, 2 lbs hamburger, bacon

For veggies--lettuce, onion and tomatoes (for tacos)

Frozen section--one frozen lasagna and frozen garlic toast, frozen stir fry, frozen veggies (we are having the steam in the bag asparagus), frozen egg rolls***(see note at bottom of page), frozen chicken breast

General Groceries--Spices=McCormick Sicilian Chicken rub; a taco seasoning packet, taco shells or tortillas, rice, polenta, plus other taco stuff, sweet and sour sauce for the egg rolls

Monday-I have a late meeting and therefore I take advantage of the delay bake feature on my oven. I use a Stoeffer's Party size lasagna and start it at 3 so it is fully baked by 5 and we pull the foil off the top when we come in and throw in garlic toast while we set the table and get everyone settled.

Tuesday--Tacos. I usually don't like to use the seasoning packets for taco meat, I feel they have a chalky taste, however awhile back I got some for 10 cents a packet so this time I will use them. Most of the time I prefer to just brown the meat with onion and then I dump in about 1/4 cup of Ortega taco sauce and 1/4 c water and that seems to work really well. This time I will most likely also brown my hamburger with both onion and bell pepper.

Wednesday--Stirfry. I make brown rice (the kind that takes 45 minutes to cook.) I will cook one frozen chicken breast, I pull the chicken from the large sauce pan (if you have a wok you could use it) I then stir fry the veggies. Most likely I will just use salt and pepper to taste. I will dice the chicken and add it back in with the veggies. When the stir fry and chicken are done I will dump the cooked rice in and combine. We are having store bought frozen egg rolls with this meal, but at the bottom of the page I will share my recipe for egg rolls.

Thursday (another late return home) I am going to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker. I bought a Sicilian Chicken Rub by McCormick (they used to have one of those recipe ready packets for chicken which I have used before, but not this time*darn* so I bought a bottle of the Sicilian for $2.25) I will take the chicken out of the deep freeze that morning. I will remove the plastic and run it under the faucet to get it sticky. I will then rub a couple of generous palm fulls of this Sicilian spice over the chicken and throw it in the slow cooker on 8-10 hour setting.
Typically I'd mix up my own spice rub but this time I am going to let the McCormick Company do it for me. I most likely have all those spices on hand but at 6:30 in the a.m. I don't want to think that hard...
We also will have quick cooking Polenta and steam in the bag asparagus.

Friday--Breakfast for Supper. Most likely we are going to have waffles. I follow the recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cook book. And bacon.

*****My recipe for homemade egg rolls.

You will need wonton wrappers (found in the produce section) a bag a pre-made coleslaw, green onions. Bulk italian sausage, soy sauce and some form of teriaki sauce, or Asian marinade sauce that sound good to you.
Brown the italian sausage and drain. You may only need half, start there. Add about 4 diced green onions, half a bag of the cole slaw, a sprinkle or two of soy sauce and a good squirt of which ever Asian sauce you have. Mix together. The coleslaw should be good and coated so add more sauce if you need to. Wrap up the egg rolls as it shows you on the package and deep fry. I have a dutch oven that I put about 3 inches of oil in try to keep it around 350. Cook until they look golden brown and delicious and drain. I pull them from the oil using tongs and drain them over the oil in about 10 different directions. They are probably not the healthiest food, but shucks, they are good. We serve ours with sweet and sour. Sometimes they are so good you don't need sauce!


No comments:

Post a Comment