Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sale Food (meat)

The last couple times I have gone to the meat section I have been very lucky to find discounted meat (the packages that are on the due date or close to their due date.)

What I do for my pocketbook, I look at what meats are seasonally on sale--for example around Thanksgiving Turkeys were 12 cents per pound! I bought three!!! We used one for Christmas and plan to make one this weekend (we have an outdoor turkey fryer). The nice thing is it makes a wonderful meal plus then we have leftovers. We most likely will freeze some of the meat and have it on hand for a time when we have lots of meetings etc.

Also at Christmas time there were good deals on hams. I picked up two. We just had one recently for a Sunday meal. It was wonderful. We now have some frozen and ready for a casserole, sandwiches or omelets.

What am I going to stock up on now? Most likely hams will be on sale again perhaps I'll pick one up depending??? But I am going to most certainly stock up on FROZEN FISH! With the Lenten Season comes wonderful sales on fish! Especially, the frozen single serve fish tend to be VERY affordable. We also love Salmon and I will DEFINITELY be following the salmon sales!

We like to take the white fish (talapia/cod) and we will bread them and do fish fries in the summer. The salmon we will grill and either eat it as salmon steaks, or shred it up and put it with a pasta or served on a salad. Also shredded up we can make it into patties and salmon burgers which have been a huge hit with the boys.

We have also bought a 1/4 cow every spring. This year will depend on $$ how much we have (It is usually around $300-400 dollars) plus how much the market for beef is. The wonderful thing about this beef is it is grass fed and essentially organic. We know the farmer personally, and we see how the cows are raised. It is the MOST wonderful hamburger, very low in fat and the steaks and roast are pure heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment